This isn’t a real post. Just checking in to say a few things that I have on my list of things to write about but that I haven’t written about because I haven’t had time to make into a polished post because I’ve been working on my next book (FINALLY MY BRAIN IS ALMOST WORKING AGAIN) but if I wait any longer I won’t write it at all and I’ll forget it…so, here is my mind dump of a few things you should know.
- Are you listening to the INVISIBILIA podcast on NPR? You should be. I just discovered it a few months ago and I’ve been pouring through them and the one I listened to yesterday (The Problem with the Solution) totally gut-punched me. But in a good way. Just…ow.
- Y’all, it’s not out yet but Samantha Irby’s new book is so good it made me vomit. Like, I want to smother her and take credit for writing it but then everyone would be like, “Wait. You’re a black orphan with Crohn’s disease? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?” But the book doesn’t come out until forever and I’m gonna forget to tell you about it when it does come out because I’m the worst so just remind me to tell you again when it’s available for preorder. Or read her last book again while you’re waiting. But then writing that reminded me of the book I read last year that was SO good and I wanted to tell everyone about it but it still had a billion months until publication so instead I just called my friends and read aloud from it while simultaneously aghast and giggling hysterically and I just went to check and it comes out this month so go order that shit right now because it was one of the best things I read this year. It’s called UNMENTIONABLE: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners. It’s super gross and fascinating. Like Mary Roach’s Stiff, but funnier.
- Speaking of books, I am a constant reader and I was thinking it would be cool if we had a bookclub, but I’m too lazy for that so what if I just put the name of the book I’m currently reading on a blog post each week and then in the comments you can discuss? Except I pretty much only read nonfiction, sci-fi, fairy tales and graphic novels so it would be a very, very limiting bookclub. Not sure about this one. Just a thought I keep having.
- You know those metal kits I’ve been making for years when my anxiety gets high because working with the tiny pieces keeps me from picking away at myself? (If not, read 1000 ferris wheels here.) I just finished a new one. It took two hours to make it because it was 30+ tiny pieces but THE DOORS OPEN AND CLOSE. WHAT.
- Hunter S. Tomcat is sitting in the chair next to me and he has this enormous grin of contentment and I thought, I should share this, but then I realized I haven’t cleaned the cat fur off the seat cushion in 3 days so it looks filthy, but whatever. A little bit of filth should not stand in the way of happiness. In fact, a little bit of filth is sometimes the only road to happiness. But that’s another story.
- Dorothy Barker decided she wanted in on this. This is my dog when I say “bacon”.
It’s not even real bacon. It’s fake dog bacon and it taste like sadness and giving up. It smells like bacon though, which is why I tried it. I thought I found a cheap bacon alternative that would help me keep my coat shiny but no, the bacon is a lie. A beautiful one though, according to this dog.
- I use a lot of affiliate links in my posts but the money I get if you order stuff just goes back to the community when we do Booksgiving or Christmas miracles and stuff. Just FYI in case you’re new to the tribe.
- I’m in Cincinnati this weekend signing books and stuff. Come see me. It’s free.
- There is no number 10 but I like to end on a round number. Hugs. ~ me